Ruth’s Hemp and Lemon Loaf|
Makes two loaves. Hemp and Lemon Loaves keep for several days in an airtight container. They also freeze well, but need about two hours to thaw at room temperature.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cup demerara or brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 cup SoftHemp™
- ½ cup honey
- Juice from 3 lemons
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs, beating after each one.
- In separate bowl, blend all dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Add lemon rind and SoftHemp™.
- Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake one hour.
- Just before loaves are ready, gently heat honey and blend in lemon juice as soon as it is warm enough. Be careful not to let the honey get too hot.
- Remove loaves from oven and drizzle glaze on top.