The California Food and Justice Coalition (CFJC) is a statewide membership coalition committed to the basic human right to healthy food while advancing social, agricultural, and environmental justice.|
- Envision a California food system in which all activities, from farm to table, are equitable, healthful, sustainable, and community-driven.
- Collaborate with community-based efforts in California to create a socially just, ecologically and economically sustainable food supply.
- Work as partners of the national and international movements for community food security.
- That access to healthy food is a basic human right and must not be compromised
- That communities are enriched by the cultivation and celebration of diverse food traditions and experience
- That the production, distribution, and preparation of food must be healthy and humane for all humans, animals and ecosystems
- That agricultural land and biological diversity must be protected for future generations
- That all food commerce must be just, democratic and economically fair
We work to:
- Food systems that are responsive to and reflective of each unique region, and are supported at the state and federal level
- Ecological farming practices and efforts to minimize the number of miles food travels from field to table
- Decent and just living and working conditions for all workers from farm to table, and democratic participation in their workplaces
- The provision of adequate publicly funded safety nets while working to minimize the need for them
- Community-based, culturally appropriate nutrition education
- A restoration of the connection between people and the sources of their food, and the revitalization of agrarian cultures
- Increased awareness of indigenous food and agricultural histories
- Assess, research and address the root causes of food insecurity to create a just food and farming system
- Increase knowledge and awareness of food security from the grassroots to decision-makers
- Advocate for policies and funding that build community food security
- Increase communication and collaborations among community members, agencies and organizations to strengthen food security